•   taxsupport@crescenttaxfiling.com |
  •   916-241-4499

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Claiming Refunds for Non Resident Aliens (who are on Student Visas)

If your social security and Medicare taxes were withheld in error from your pay, then Crescent Tax Filing will help you with the guidance and required forms which need to be submitted with the IRS to get back the withheld amount. If you work as an employee in the United States, you must pay social security and Medicare taxes. Your payments of these taxes contribute to your coverage. In general U.S. social security and Medicare taxes apply to payments of wages for services performed as an employee in the United States. Your employer should be able to tell you if social security and Medicare taxes apply to your wages. You cannot make voluntary social security payments if no taxes are due.

Penalty for Erroneous Claim for Refund:

If you claim an excessive amount of tax refund or credit relating to income tax (other than a claim relating to the earned income credit), you may be liable for a penalty of 20% of the amount determined to be excessive. An excessive amount is the amount of the claim of refund or credit that is more than the amount of claim allowable for the tax year. The penalty may be waived if you can show that you had a reasonable basis for making the claim.